Southern Ural town of Magnitogorsk belongs among the legends of world iron and steel industries. The first construction plans for this integrated plant were designed in 1925 by S. Zelentsov. On 17 January 1929 the Soviet Government´s session took a decision on the start of construction of the Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works.
The coke plant no.1 was built in 1931 and just one year later the first blast furnace was started up (designed by american constructeur Arthur G. McKee). Second blast furnace followed and the third one was put into operation in 1933 together with first open-hearth furnace and the blooming mill.
Turbulent war years brought the first contract for armored steel. The very fist steel of such grade was smelted in 1941. At the same time, the 4500 plate mill was transported from Mariupol and put into operation here as the largest rolling facility of this type in the entire USSR.
In 1951, the 2000 strip mill was built.
With the transition to a more modern technology in 1986 decided to invest in a new oxygen steelworks. The first tapping was done in 1990.
Today, the Magnitogorsk Metallurgical Combine with an annual production of 12 mln tons of crude steel belongs among the world´s largest mills. Integrated plant has its own ore mine, 3 separate coke ovens, 8 blast furnaces, 3 oxygen converters (360 tons each), 2 electric arc and 1 twin-bath furnace and 5 rolling mills from 170 mm to 5000 mm.
Views: 1451 ×