Coal deposit around town of Petite-Rosselle was explored since 1856 by local Wendel family. Now completely changed shape above pit Wendel 1 was deepened in 1866 already, next pits were built just few years after.
Up to 5000 miners were working here in time of great modernization in 1946. Similarly to other lorraine mines, Carreau Wendel was closed down during the 80´s.
The site went through very few changes since it´s closure and serves now as a mining museum, one of the largest in France